login   |    register
World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Ju 388 AIMS conversion
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd give this conversion a try.



Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - 03:39 AM UTC
I've started by cutting the rear fuselage for the resin replacement..





And dry fitting some parts for later....






Mark
GazzaS
#424
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Joined: April 23, 2015
KitMaker: 4,130 posts
AeroScale: 1,784 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC
Very interesting! I'll follow along!
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 11:15 PM UTC
I don't really like the clear inserts for the radio insulators so I punched out some plastic card and clear plastic inserts and filled them in.









Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 07:28 AM UTC
The lower fuselage antenna attachment point needed to be refined. The clear part from the kit (on the left) is actually too small for the opening.



Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
I reinforced the fuselage with tabs for a more secure fit....



The rear resin fuselage is a little weighty so I'm worried just superglue won't do it. I drilled out some holes and superglued styrene rod into them so they could be glued and bond with the styrene fuselage part.



Some sanding and blending, just about there...



Thanks for looking in,
Mark
GazzaS
#424
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Joined: April 23, 2015
KitMaker: 4,130 posts
AeroScale: 1,784 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 08:42 AM UTC
Good thinking about the resin tail. After a recent seam pop on a build, I'm thinking I'll emulate your fuselage strengthening scheme.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
Joined: December 18, 2006
KitMaker: 1,118 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good thinking about the resin tail. After a recent seam pop on a build, I'm thinking I'll emulate your fuselage strengthening scheme.



There's nothing more frustrating than that especially when you have several different paints across the seam to blend back in.

I've got it locked in tight now...and it blended in very nicely...



A little re-scribing and that will take care of it.


Mark
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined: May 02, 2006
KitMaker: 1,731 posts
AeroScale: 1,680 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 07:15 PM UTC
Mark! Good idea to aim for some extra structural integrity on this kind of build!



Magnus